Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem Energy Drink (32 Servings)Hammer Nutrition
1 Serving Size: 69g
Ultra Endurance Fuel: optimal 8:1 Formula
Thoroughly tested and proven in the world’s toughest events, Perpetuem satisfies your body’s energy requirements when workouts and events extend beyond three hours. Its unique blend and precise ratios of complex carbohydrates, protein, healthy fat, and key auxiliary nutrients allow you to stay strong and steady from start to finish.
✓ Stabilizes energy & blood-sugar
✓ Maximizes fat utilization
✓ Protects lean muscle mass
✓ Easy to digest
✓ Gluten-free and vegan friendly
✓ Contains GMO-free soy protein
✓ Contains no MSG
HOW TO USE
Use as a primary source of calories during exercise/competition lasting more than two hours.
Mixage / Usage Instructions
Mix 2 scoops to 16-28 ounces of water.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to potential spoilage issues, Perpetuem cannot be premixed and left for several hours in warm weather. Please read the FAQ's below for more detailed information on this important topic.
Perptuem can be consumed and mixed in 3 different ways, depending on individual preference and logistical concerns. Please experiment with the following options to determine which works best for you:
The One-Hour Bottle
Mix the suggested amount of Perpetuem for your bodyweight (see chart below) in a 21-24 ounce (approx 520-710 ml) water bottle. Consume one bottle hourly. This method is ideal when training or racing with a support crew. If you're without a support crew but still want to use this option for mixing, keep in mind that it might be cumbersome as you'll have to stop more frequently to mix your fuel drink. Also, because you are trying to fulfill both hydration and caloric requirements from one source, you have limited your ability to adjust one without affecting the other; you may need to consume additional water to satisfy hydration requirements.
The Multi-Hour Bottle
This is by far the most convenient method of fueling because it allows you to be self-sufficient for many hours, requiring only additional plain water along the way. The only limitation is how many scoops you can fit into a bottle. Determine your proper hourly intake of scoops by experimenting with the numbers from the dosage chart. Let's say you've determined through testing that 2 scoops of Perpetuem per hour is your ideal caloric intake. For a 4-hour workout, you'll need 8 scoops in a bottle, then filled with water and shaken well. You may need to add a few scoops at a time to get it all to mix well. You then nurse this bottle, taking small sips every 15-20 minutes. At this concentration, the water in the mixed bottle does not contribute to your hourly fluid intake needs. To meet your fluid requirements, carry a second or third bottle of plain water, use a hydration system, or know where you are able to refill along your route. Drink according to the temperature/humidity and your exertion level consuming between 16-28 ounces (approx 475-830 ml) of plain water per hour.*
This way, as long as you can obtain water along the way, you're set for hours of hard training.
Gel or Paste
If you want to carry the highest volume of calories in the least amount of space, making a thick mix is your best option. Perpetuem can be made into a super-concentrated, near paste-like consistency and dispensed from a Hammer Gel flask. Using a blender or bowl and spoon, mix scoops of powder with a small amount of water, gradually adding water as necessary to create the consistency desired. If you're using the orange-vanilla flavor of Perpetuem, remember that the heavier and more concentrated you mix it, the sweeter and stronger the flavor will become. You may also add Hammer Gel or HEED to alter the flavor, if desired. Depending on how many scoops per hour you require, and how concentrated the mix is, each flask of Perpetuem can supply you with 2-4 hours of fuel. As with the multi-hour bottle, you must carry additional bottles of plain water or use a hydration system to meet your fluid requirements.
Suggested Doses by Body Weight
|0 - 120 lbs
|up to 3/4 scoop/hr
|approximately 101 calories
|approximately 135 calories
|1.25 to 1.5 scoops/hr
|approximately 169 to 202.5 calories.
|up to 2 scoops/hr.
|approximately 270 calories
Special Note on Perpetuem:
Due to this being a high concentration calorie source (via its complex carbohydrate, soy protein, and healthy fat components), Hammer Nutrition has noted that many athletes do well with a substantially lower calorie intake when using Perpetuem as their primary-to-sole fuel. Therefore, with this particular fuel Hammer Nutrition highly recommends starting with the lowest amount suggested-perhaps even a bit lower-and work your way up to a higher amount, if a higher amount has proved to be necessary via testing in training.
*These are estimated doses. Each athlete should determine in training, under a variety of conditions, their personal optimum.
By design, neither Perpetuem nor ed Energy contain artificial preservatives. Preservatives provide absolutely no benefits for athletic performance or general health - Hammer Nutrition considers them health hazards, in fact - which is why they do not include them in either of these products, or any of the Hammer Nutrition fuels.
As a result of this, however, once mixed in solution the protein component in both Perpetuem and ed Energy is affected in the following ways:
- At some point in time it will eventually sour and no longer be acceptable for consumption.
- It tends to separate after a while and may settle on the bottom of a bottle or hydration pack bladder.
Hammer Nutrition believes that not having artificial preservatives in the products is far more important than these two inconveniences; however, these are things that you need to remember when using Perpetuem or ed Energy.
Swipe Pictures for Nutritional Facts
Strawberry-Vanilla: Maltodextrin, soy protein isolates, energy smart (fruit juice, natural grain dextrin), soy lecithin, natural flavor, trisodium phosphate, l-carnosine, red beet juice powder, l-carnitine (as carnipure), choline bitartrate, chromium polynicotinate.
Café Latte: Maltodextrin, soy protein isolates, Energy Smart (fruit juice, natural grain dextrin), soy lecithin, coffee powder, natural vanilla flavor, trisodium phosphate, l-carnosine, l-carnitine (as carnipure™), choline bitartrate, caffeine, stevia, chromium polynicotinate.
Orange-Vanilla: Maltodextrin, soy protein isolate, Energy Smart (fruit juice, natural grain dextrin), soy lecithin, natural flavor, trisodium phosphate, l-carnosine, l-carnitine (as carnipure™), choline bitartrate, chromium polynicotinate.
Unflavored: Maltodextrin, soy protein isolate, Energy Smart (fruit juice, natural grain dextrin), soy lecithin, trisodium phosphate, l-carnosine, l-carnitine (as carnipure™), choline bitartrate, chromium polynicotinate.
- Maltodextrin: A high-glycemic index (GI) complex carbohydrate, ideal for providing fast-acting, long-lasting energy during exercise.
- Isolated Soy Protein: A dry powder food ingredient that has been separated or isolated from the other components of the soybean, making it 90 to 95 percent protein, and nearly carbohydrate- and fat-free.
- Energy Smart (Grape Juice, Rice Dextrin): This all-natural, low-sugar sweetener plays an important role in Hammer Gel’s delicious flavor while contributing minimally to the overall carbohydrate content. Energy Smart is certified non-GMO, gluten-free, and allergen-free.
- Soy Lecithin: The extract from soybean oil, lecithin is an easily digestible source of healthful fat. This helps create a feeling of satiety and also supports the body’s natural fat-burning capabilities.
- Sodium (Tribasic) Phosphate: This compound enhances the functioning of all three of the body’s ATP-producing energy systems—the short-term ATP-CP system, the medium-term lactic acid system, and the long-term oxygen/aerobic system. A primary benefit of sodium (tribasic) phosphate is its ability to buffer blood acidity and help maintain a more ideal acid-alkaline balance by neutralizing excess hydrogen ions within the muscle cell. Effectively buffering lactic acid extends energy production within this system. This nutrient also increases 2,3 diphosphoglycerate (2,3-DPG). This compound, found in red blood cells helps release oxygen from hemoglobin into the muscle cells. An increase in 2,3-DPG will improve the availability of oxygen to working muscles during exercise.
- L-Carnosine: This dipeptide (a combination of two amino acids) L-carnosine is a potent lactic acid buffer. It also offers antioxidant support.
- L-Carnitine Tartrate – L-Carnitine Tartrate: A compound containing L-carnitine chelated (“bonded”) to L-tartrate, which is a salt of tartaric acid. L-carnitine is the key nutrient involved in the shuttling of fatty acids into the cell for energy production. Tartrate is a potent antioxidant.
- Choline Bitartrat: A type of B-complex vitamin that helps with efficient use of body fat stores as energy. Choline bitartrate also supports enhanced cognition, learning, and memory.
- Stevia: A natural, calorie-free sweeter derived from the leaves of Stevia rebaudiana, a plant native to Central and South America. It does not affect blood sugar levels or contribute to tooth decay like sugar does.
- Chromium Polynicotinate: This trace mineral helps regulate blood sugar and plays a vital role in energy production.
Q: How soon after I make Perpetuem or ed Energy do I have to drink it?
A: Ideally, it should be within 3-5 hours, with up to perhaps 6-8 hours (depending on the temperature) being the longest we recommend.
Dr. Bill Misner explains: Energy drink powders containing no preservatives are predisposed to change once set in solution mixtures. Time, temperature, humidity, environmental airborne or endogenous microbes, oxidation factors may cause fatty acids to turn rancid or proteins to sour in the presence of long chain or short chain carbohydrates. A prime example is found in pasteurized milk. Milk typically sours in stages as one type of bacteria is replaced by another. Bacilli convert protein into ammonia products, and the pH rises. The odor or taste of spoiled milk is apparent once this has happened. Hammer Nutrition has observed this phenomenon in our soy-based products, ed Energy and Perpetuem if the product is mixed prior to an event then not kept cold or consumed within 3-5 hours.
Athletes should be encouraged to keep pre-mixed protein-enhanced or lipid-containing carbohydrate drinks under 59 F or ideally at a cooler 40-45 F in order to keep fermentation of environmental bacteria from proliferating in the drink mixture. Freezing the drink the night before an event may result in keeping the macronutrient contents in tact an inhibiting bacterial growth potential. Once the drink is soured to taste or has become noxious to olfactory sensed odor, then it is advised that the drink not be consumed.
Q: If I mix Perpetuem or ed Energy and keep it in the refrigerator, will it break down any of the desired properties?
A: The effectual benefits ("desired properties") are not lost, but the l-carnitine in both products may deteriorate somewhat, forming crystals within the mix since it is very hygroscopic (has an affinity for water). The deterioration, if any, is minimal in 48 hours post-mix, refrigerated. However, for best results we recommend using ed Energy or Perpetuem as soon as possible after mixing.
Q: I'm doing a full iron-distance triathlon, and the weather is going to be hot. I want to use Perpetuem for the bike portion.
How do you suggest I mix it so that it doesn't get warm and unpalatable?
A: Let's say that the bike portion will take you six hours. You can make all six hours of fuel in two bottles. For example, if you have found (through testing in training) that two scoops of Perpetuem will provide an hour's fuel, put six scoops in and make a 3-hour bottle, fulfilling your hydration requirements with plain water (approx 20-28 fluid ounces/600-830 milliliters per hour) from another bottle or hydration system. Make two 6-scoop bottles and you've got your six hours worth of fuel taken care of. Mix the bottles the night before the race and freeze them. That will keep them cold and palatable as they thaw during the bike portion of the race.
If, however, the weather on race day is going to be very hot, or you don't have a way to keep the bottles cold until the bike leg, then try this method: mix and freeze one bottle as above, but in the other put only the six scoops of Perpetuem, and add no water. When you finish your first 3-hour bottle you will need to stop and take a few moments to add cold water to this second. It just takes a few seconds, but now you have a fresh, cold bottle of fuel for the second half of the bike ride. Using insulated bottles also helps, if you don't mind the slight extra weight. One athlete who completed a hot-weather Ironman Australia used this method and wrote us saying, I did as you recommended - had the second bottle of dry Perpetuem powder in my bike Special Needs bag, and just added cool water. It only took 30 seconds or so and I was underway with a bidon of cold Perpetuem for the second half of the bike. Great suggestion, it works like a treat!
At Athleti, we provide fast shipping on all sports nutrition, hydration, and fitness products straight to your door.
CARRIERS: All Nutrition and Hydration Products are shipped via FedEx, Canada Post, or courier and can be tracked online. All Fitness Products are shipped via Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, or courier from Canada. We partner with Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, and CanPar, known for their fast, safe, and reliable service from coast-to-coast.
- Ontario & Quebec: 2-4 business days
- Manitoba, Saskatchewan, & Alberta: 3-7 business days
- British Columbia: 5-8 business days
- Atlantic Provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island): 2-10 business days
- Northwest Territories & Yukon: 2-13 business days
- Nunavut: 6-13 business days